Boat Shuttles (Schacht)
Boat Shuttles from Schacht Spindle Company
Once you have your loom warped and ready to weave, you need to wind a shuttle with weft yarn. But, what kind of shuttle should you choose? Like choosing any tool, selecting the right shuttle for the job can increase your weaving efficiency, as well as make the task at hand more pleasurable. As a rule of thumb, choose stick shuttles for simple looms, such as our School Loom, Flip and Cricket rigid heddle looms, Tapestry Loom, and Mini Loom. Generally, you want to choose a shuttle that is approximately the width of your weaving. No winding equipment is required.
A boat shuttle loaded with a bobbin increases your efficiency. They are excellent for looms with shuttle races such as table looms and floor looms. We offer a variety of sizes and styles. What you choose will depend on what feels comfortable in your hand and they type of weaving you are doing. For example, if you are weaving a heavy weight fabric, you might want to choose a 15ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ boat shuttle that will hold more yarn. Or, for instance, if you are weaving a very narrow piece, then you might find a smaller shuttle, such as a 9ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ mini boat the best choice for this project
Schacht boat shuttles are beautifully shaped and well balanced. They are sanded smooth and then given a hand-rubbed Danish oil finish. Four sizes are available: 9″, 11″, 13″, and 15″.
- The smallest boat shuttle, the 9″ mini, is styled after a Japanese silk shuttle. This duck-nosed shuttle is wonderful for narrow widths and fine yarns.
- Our most popular boat shuttle, the 11″ boat shuttle, is offered in slim and regular models with closed-bottom and open-bottom styles.
- Our two largest boat shuttles are 13″ and 15″ long and can handle fine to medium-weight yarns. Because of their extra length and yarn capacity, weavers often choose these shuttles for wider weaving widths.
- We also offer slim and regular double-bobbin boat shuttles that are ideal for doubled weft threads. Two separate bobbin shafts make it possible to remove one bobbin at a time.
The following shuttles are available for us to order
- Boat 11 inch Closed/Regular Schacht SH5016
- Boat 11 inch Maple (open bottom) Schacht #SH5002
- Boat 11 inch Slim Maple Schacht SH5001
- Boat 13 inch Maple (open bottom) Schacht SH5003
- Boat 13 inch Walnut Schacht SH5003W
- Boat 15 inch Maple (open bottom) Schacht SH5004
- Boat 15 inch Walnut (open bottom) Schacht SH5004W
- Boat 9 inch mini Cherry Schacht SH5022
- Boat 9 inch Mini Maple Schacht SH5000
- Double-bobbin Boat 15 1/4 inch (open bottom) Schacht SH5021
- End Delivery Boat 12 inch Schacht SH5031
- End Delivery Boat 15 inch Schacht SH5030